Thursday, February 7, 2008

Jeez, what next?

Had a sore throat the past few days. I assumed it was caused by blowing air down my throat with that darned BIPAP machine. Last night I looked into the mirror with a flashlight and looked down my throat. Yikes! Pretty ugly. Raw, red, with white spots, but only on one side of my throat.

"Looks like strep throat," Nancy said. "Better go to the doctor."

Can I get frequent flyer miles with all these doctor visits?

So I stopped there on my way to work. They took me right in. (Wow.)

"No. It's not strep throat," the doctor said. "It's Coxsackie Virus."

I knew Coxsackie, N.Y., was an ugly town, but I didn't think it capable of this.

Anyway, there's no treatment. No cure. Just ride it out and it goes away in 7 to 12 days.

It makes me wonder if working in a building with 50 or 60 home healthcare workers (St. Peter's Hospital Home Health Care occupies the first two floors) is a good idea. I never did think all these saints were to be relied upon.

Is this what a life with an impaired immune system looks like?