Monday, February 22, 2010

A Bump in the Road

There was bound to be one somewhere.

I hesitate to even mention it. I don't want to alarm friends and family, or sound like I am whining. But I owe it to other CLL patients to tell it like it is.

Last week I was told that the little zit I had on the top of my ear was some sort of skin cancer.

It's something CLL patients are supposed to watch out for. Statistically speaking, we have a higher susceptibility to it than "normal" people. I have had various treatments on my face for supposedly "pre-cancerous" cells from time to time for the past 12 years, so I can't be surprised.

From what I read, I suspect this is from severe sun burns as far back as childhood, or when I worked as a lifeguard when in high school and college, back when nobody I knew had ever heard of "sun block."

I refuse to worry about it. That is not to say I am going to ignore it. I'll deal with it as systematically, rationally, and thoroughly as I can.

But to all you other CLL people: Statistical probabilities can become very real and very personal.