Thursday, February 23, 2012

Another update: Thursday, 23 Feb 12

Yesterday was kind of an encouraging day in a small way. In the morning, just after waking up, great gobs of thick, bloody mucous blew out of my sinuses (with some effort), I think in response to use of a Zycam nasal spray eight or ten hours earlier.

Then, last night, one of my ears popped open a little bit a for a couple hours after I let the hot water in the shower beat down on my bag of bones for 15 or 20 minutes. It felt weird to hear again, even if a little, and it was pretty encouraging. Bag of bones? Yeah, I have dipped as low as 165 pounds, then back to 170. In 2009, I was around 195. I decided to lose some weight, but not that much.

There is no question that the experimental drug---PCI-32765---is working. It's all the other stuff---sinus infection, extreme fatigue, a mild fever now and again, no hearing, spotty sleep---that is dragging me down still, but I am working on them with antibiotics, saline and other nasal sprays, codeine based cough medicines..... you name it.

Funny how just changing from Dayquil cough medicine to Alka Seltzer cold & flu fizzy tablets can make a difference, but yesterday it seemed to work better. I actually felt a little---and I do mean little---bit more energetic.

Farm Bureau is suggesting I apply for a disability leave. They wrote to say working from home was longer acceptable. (And in my current state, I confess I could not, anyway.) They say they want to help me apply through a company-owned disability-leave insurance policy that would pay me 60%-70% of my current salary for up to two years. It sounds like the best idea, but I will be interested to see the details. As the late Candor dairy farmer George Ace used to say, "The big print gives it all to you. The fine print takes it all away."